Tuesday, March 15, 2011

R&B Brewing Co. - Dark Star Oatmeal Stout


I'll make this one quick.  I friggin love this beer! R&B Brewing Company hit the nail on the head for me with this one.  I like my heavy knock-down stouts, but it is nice to find one that is a little quicker in the mouth and doesn't have that weigh-you-down feel.

A soothing dark, muddy body that's almost black.  It has an average head that is off-white (latte like) and creamy smooth.  The nose gives a heavy roasted, nutty, coffee and almost straw-like malt note.  The bitterness is strange.  It is definitely there but oddly subtle at the same time; rather herby. The palate gives a woody, charcoal, chocolate and tobacco mix.  The drinking texture is thick and pleasantly oily with a lively and fine carbonation.  The acidity is light and the flavour leaves a minerally/metallic hint which pleasantly last for a while.  I don't usually like using "metallic" as a descriptor as it can turn some people off.  In this case, I mean it in all the good ways,...the good metals!  It rings in at 4.6% alcohol with 18 IBUs.  It brought home a gold in the Canadian Brewing Awards in 2010.  

Did I mention I love this beer!

No comments:

Post a Comment