Sunday, April 10, 2011

Phillips Beer - Surly Blonde Big Belgium Triple


Not yet having developed any sort of craving for Belgium beers after having tried a few different ones, I decided I need to expose myself a little more to them.  Being in a current "stout stage", any strong fruit flavours have taken me off guard.  This week, when grabbing a few Phillips Beer as I often do, their Surly Blonde found it's way into my cart.

I'll start by noting that I am aware the pilsner glass may not be the best glass for tasting this beer.  The beer had a clear and sparkly appearance with an amber hue.  I expected it to be more murky.  The head was not very big, but seemed to last at that level and was off-white and fizzy.  The beer did not produce much lacing.

The first aroma to hit the nose was a bready/grainy note.  The hop scent seemed medium to mild with hints of flowers, perfume and a tart resin note.  It had an underlying sweet yeasty smell.  Secondary notes were of subtle banana, bubble gum and butterscotch.

The body seemed medium with a soft oily texture.  The flavour was long and moderate to heavy in sweetness.  The acidity was higher than I expected as well, but not too heavy and the bitterness was mild.

The 650 ml bottle has an impression 9.1% alc and rings in an overall (B-) on Beer Advocate from 23 reviews.

All in all, I really enjoyed tasting this beer and the result was what I wanted.  I'll definitely be trying to samples more of the Belgium styles and am open for suggestions.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment